Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ubuntu 7.10 - first impressions

I've upgraded my Ubuntu box last week with the new 7.10 release (gutsy gibbon). I've been using it and here's my first impressions about it:

- First, I used the upgrade button on feisty's update manager. Turned out to be a little troubled choice because after the upgrade I noticed some weird font problems. Since I use a separate /home partition, decided to do a clean install just to make sure everything would be ok.

- After the clean install (this step seems to be ridiculously easy, even more than windows), I noticed: the resolution of my LG 204WT 20" (1680x1050) was correctly detected by default (for the first time in my experience with linux) but... the image appeared smaller. Problem solved instantly after installing the nvidia graphic card driver.

- After the second reboot, I noticed that something was wrong with the login screen. The problem was that the resolution was different from the one used after login. Even using the new graphic xorg configurator, before login, resolution remains the same (gonna have to edit manually the xorg.conf file probably).

- Installed aMSN, and... no sound. Tried to change the play command in aMSN preferences to "aplay"... and still no sound. The rest of the applications work with sound really well.

- The compiz-fusion effects are amazing, but... occasionally, window borders and controls disappear, it's some sort of crash. I don't really need them so... I turned them off.

Until now, I found only just these (little?) problems, and everything else works perfectly. Ubuntu is in the right path.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

-As for aMSN: If you installed it from the Ubuntu repos, it's got that issue (it's still a bad package in Debian Unstable), you can either install an older version from GetDeb.net or a older version of Ubuntu and that should fix the problem.

-Compiz: That's a VERY, VERY well known issue with the nVidia drivers. I've personally never had it (i use nVidia, but rarely use Compiz), but there are some tips out there if you Google: "nvidia black screen bug compiz" or something of the like.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tips jeff! I'll try to solve the amsn issue :)

Anonymous said...

2 more bugs -

The emblems are too small making them useless.

The Nautilus search doesn't search within the folder.

Unknown said...

@anonymous:
1. I have no idea what emblems you're talking about.

2. No shit. The Nautilus search tool is supposed to be tied into Tracker or Beagle (i forget which) which is full system search (similar to Mac OS X's Spotlight).

Anonymous said...

They need to keep them separate, or at least give an option. I am not going to let Tracker index my whole / folder.

Before you can go into a folder and get all the image files inside by searching *.jpg.